Friday, July 15, 2011

MEET RISSIKAT BADE THE NIGERIAN BORN MISSLONDON


With reality shows scouring the streets for the next Kate Moss reams of young girls dream of being crowned the country’s next top model. But one young beauty queen is taking her new-found success in her stride, balancing her catwalk career with her studies.Rissikat Bade, 21 was named Miss London earlier this year but despite winning a year’s modelling contract with Muse Management UK she is determined to continue with her law degree.

Born in Congo to Nigerian parents, the 5ft 10 model speaks fluent Russian and Ukrainian, is learning French and is studying for a law degree at London’s Southbank University as well as taking a journalism course.
She said: ‘I definitely plan to continue with my law study. I never thought I would drop my university study for anything.’Education is important to me and it’s important for a good life I think in general.’In beauty pageants you can try to project yourself as a person rather than just being a pretty face. It’s about beauty with brains.’Before winning the title of Miss London Miss Bade struggled to break into the modelling industry and was turned down by numerous agencies including Premier and Models 1.After growing up in the Ukraine Miss Bade moved to London aged 11 and now lives in the South East of the capital near the Old Kent Road.

Miss Bade said: ‘I’ve approached about a hundred different modelling agencies, from the top agencies down to the mediocre ones. Even the worst agencies still rejected me.But now she is one of the hot favourites for the Miss England competition on July 19 which could see her representing the nation in November’s Miss World contest.’I was so disappointed and so upset. I kept on thinking ‘what is wrong with me?’ Away from the camera and textbooks she is engaged to marry a 27-year-old artist and designer.She adds: ‘Miss England is not like any fashion show where you just walk down the catwalk, you have to be able to speak in public and show something more than your looks.”The girls are gorgeous but they’re also very talented. They’re all studying, they’re all working hard, not just to be beautiful but to be good role models.’

No comments:

Post a Comment